Name That Condo: The Winner (no, really)

by Alex Stenback on March 1, 2006

Name_that_condo_5
OK, at long last, the winner has been decided, but before dropping the name, let’s take a couple of clicks to thank everyone who participated – some truly great submissions, and we couldn’t have asked for anything better, so to all those who submitted entries, thank you (and read on, because each one of you will be receiving a consolation prize.)

Grand Prize Winner, and Official Namer of the Project

Jason DeRusha: WCCO Reporter, Blogger, and Darling of the MN Internets.
Winning Entry: "Why not a simple name like "The W"  For Whittier?"
What he wins: Brand New 2GB iPod Nano.

There you have it – The W.  And while the website is still a work in progress, you can register for updates on the project, and if you wind up buying one, get your own iPod Nano.
www.WMinneapolis.com

Consolation Prizes: $5.00 Gift Card to Starbucks, OR Blockbuster
As a token of our appreciation for all the GREAT suggestions and flood of ideas, we here at Behind The Mortgage are going to be sending each of you a gift card for Starbucks or Blockbuster.  We’ll email you offline on this to get your hard-mail address, but if we happen to miss anyone, please email us.

Anonymous March 1, 2006 at 9:42 am

Ask your local trademark attorney to research registration no. 2863392.

Party Pooper!

Editor March 1, 2006 at 9:49 am

We’re just the messenger here – but noted and passed along.

Talis March 1, 2006 at 10:03 am

You’re so getting sued.

Jason March 1, 2006 at 10:04 am

Cool! I’m excited to win.. how fun.

As far as the registration issue: my quick research turned up this: I know W Hotels tried to sue George W. Bush for using “W” as his logo– I don’t believe they succeeded. And I don’t think anyone would mix up W Hotels with this condo building. I just ran a google search: and there are a couple of “W” Condos around the country.

Fort Lauderdale W: http://fortlauderdale.condocompany.com/Fort-Lauderdale/The-W/

The W in South Beach, Miami: http://www.kevintomlinson.com/_the_w.asp

Editor March 1, 2006 at 10:06 am

Aren’t we all just the experts here. Leave it to the internet lawyers to rain on a parade.

Editor March 1, 2006 at 10:16 am

But let me just add – If I were the developer, and I AM NOT I would welcome such a suit under the premise that you could not pay for that kind of publicity.

Jason March 1, 2006 at 10:17 am

Ooh… so true. A lawsuit would be fantastic. I wish I had thought of that when I submitted the name.

derrik March 1, 2006 at 2:44 pm

Jason we will be glad to point all fingers your way ;)

luckily our W is a different font. however ive run it past the atty. details to follow

derrik March 2, 2006 at 8:06 pm

Because of the strong interest so far, we are offering a prescreening for anyone that registers for the opening. The Prescreening will be before the public opening.

derrik March 3, 2006 at 11:37 am

hey we dont have floorplan names yet, time for another contest? lol