Reason Number 73 that Being a Landlord Might Involve More Than You Bargained For

by Alex Stenback on December 13, 2007

From local blogger Derrik Dyka, at Flipping Rich:

Luckily, in some ways, the door was chained from the inside, which really told us someone was in there.  I recalled the police who upon arrival kicked in the door. There was a body.

Who Wants to be a Landlord? [Flippingrich]

derrikd December 13, 2007 at 4:55 pm

All in a days work I guess…

My wife seems to be promising a week in Mexico now.

duane December 14, 2007 at 7:27 am

landlording… always a good time – see pics of my just vacanted unit in northeast minneapolis: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thilmony/sets/72157603448540764/

derrikd December 14, 2007 at 9:12 am

Duane, that is brutal. Isnt it fun?

duane December 14, 2007 at 7:31 pm

hey, she called to say she came and took 9 boxes of stuff out of there today! i wonder if i could tell the difference?

Nate December 15, 2007 at 11:24 am

Duane, good luck with the clean up. I can’t help but think a lot of people who have decided to rent out their homes in the recent downturn, may be in for a rude awakening.

Editor/Alex December 15, 2007 at 6:36 pm

just looked at those pics. Wow.

Was she fleeing the country? Who leaves that much stuff behind?

duane December 15, 2007 at 8:40 pm

it’s such a touch call. i’d like to say “gimme the keys now, you are done!” but then i have to clean it up myself. i was there showing it today and she was in the basement bagging clothes… she only moved across town, i think next to Alex’s house! haha.

yeah i have been renting this place since 2001. i’d hate to have my vacant home on the market and decide to rent to her for a couple years and think i would just sell it when she moves out.

John Hoff December 15, 2007 at 10:00 pm

When I helped manage 124 units in a Seattle high rise, near the U, we had an architecture student in the prime of life overdose on heroin. The first we knew something was up happened when the black coroner car was parked in front of the building.

You know it’s going to be a tough day as a landlord when you see the coroner parked in front of your building.

After the coroner removed the body, my manager was in the unit and made a point of picking up some trash the EMTs left in their haste while going through the motions of saving the guy. My manager said “I don’t want his mother to walk in and have to see that.”

But that wasn’t even a tough day. No, the toughest day was the crazy lady who collected crap and piled stuff up to the ceiling, even disconnecting her oven and fridge and using those appliances for storage space.

“Tough day.” What am I saying? That situation took months to resolve, and we had to call in the mental health authorities.

NM real estate December 17, 2007 at 12:11 am

I’m not sure if I want to read any further after the opening statement!